We are all very excited that Vilas County trails, as of 4:00 p.m. today, are open to snowmobilers! Snowmobile riders have been waiting in anticipation for this day to arrive, and it is finally here! With over 600 miles of some of the best groomed trails in the world, Vilas County is THE place to come to enjoy the snow!
Vilas County Snowmobile Trails Open
Weather permitting, Vilas County typically opens up the trails the first Friday after the muzzleloaders season comes to an end, and the weather shined on snowmobilers this year. Although trails are reported to be in fair to good early riding condition, there is some wetness and some rough areas so caution is recommended. Groomers are hoping for some cold weather and a few more inches of snow for the trails to hit peak conditions. Eagle River is currently reporting a 10-12 inch base on their trails.
To find up-to-date information about Wisconsin trail conditions, visit Travel Wisconsin online. And check out Upper Peninsula trail reports and find trail maps at UP Snowmobiling. The Vilas County trails connect easily to the U.P. ones, giving snowmobilers access to even more miles of great riding adventures! The Michigan trails are said to be in great shape in border counties, including Gogebic County and Ontonagon County, with only a few recommended to not ride or closed.
Plan a Snowmobiling Adventure in Phelps, WI!
Where better to begin your snowmobiling adventure than in the hidden gem of the Northwoods, Phelps WI? This picture-perfect community is conveniently located just a few miles from the Upper Peninsula border, and a short ride from Eagle River. The Phelps Snowmobile Club does an excellent job grooming the trails, and offers a local trail map for sale as well. In addition to snowmobiling, visitors enjoy the vast forests of the area for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, and you can experience some of the best ice fishing in the state right here in Phelps on any number of freshwater lakes just brimming with fish. From silent sports to exciting rides, Phelps has it all!
Where to Stay To Hit The Trails in Vilas County
You will find that Vilas County has a wide variety of lodging options to suit the tastes and needs of any size group. From houses and lodges to cabins and suites, the hospitality and friendly customer service in Phelps and surrounding communities will have you planning your next trip before you even leave! Here are some lodging tips from the Phelps Chamber of Commerce:
- North Twin Lake View Resort: 5 full-furnished cabins available to rent, comfortable outfitted with Northwoods décor. Call 815-979-0793 for reservations.
- Edgewater Inn & Cottages: Waterfront cottages and cozy rooms, centrally located near downtown Eagle River. Call 715-479-4011 for reservations.
- Hazen Inn: Historic bed and breakfast lodge and 3 cabins with fireplaces. Call 715-545-3600 for reservations.
- The Wilderness Reserve: Secluded Whitetail cabin sleeps 6, features DirectTV and fireplace. Call 715-545-2700 for reservations.
- Ashton House: 3 bedroom fully furnished house on South Twin. Call 715-891-9077 for reservations.
- Big Sand Lake Cottages: Beautiful cottages of various sizes right on snowmobile trail #6, with housekeeping available. Call 414-744-8486 for reservations.
- Blue Loon Hideaway: This North Twin Lake cottage sleeps 7, featuring a game center. Call 630-464-9472 for reservations.
- Eagle View Rentals: 7 rental units on the North shore of Big Sand Lake with everything you could need. Call 715-545-2516 for reservations.
- Gateway Lodge: Historic lodge with rustic Northwoods décor, kitchenettes, on-site restaurant and swimming pool in Land O’Lakes. Call 715-547-3321 for reservations.
- Great Escape Cabins: Conveniently located downtown Phelps on beautiful North Twin Lake. Call 715-545-2585 for reservations.
- Hillside Resort: 1, 2, and 3 bedroom rentals with housekeeping on Lac Vieux Desert. Call 715-547-3646 for reservations.
- Oak Ridge Resort: 2 bedroom cottages with modern kitchens right near snowmobile trails. Call 715-547-3860 for reservations.
- Sunrise Lodge: Family-orientated resort on Lac Vieux Desert with some of the best breakfasts around. Call 715-547-3684 for reservations.
- Thunder Bay Resort: Friendly lodging year round, with on-site tavern and snowmobile rentals available. Call 715-547-3801 for reservations.
Have questions about planning your snowmobile vacation in Vilas County? The Phelps Chamber would be happy to help! Just give us a call at 715-545-3800 and we can help you find lodging, give you a snow update, or recommend local restaurants and services. Happy Snowmobiling!