The flowers are blooming, the rivers are flowing, the lakes are sparkling – spring is finally here in Phelps! This is a great time of year to visit Phelps to enjoy all that nature has to offer. Located in Vilas County right next door to the beautiful wilderness of Upper Michigan, Phelps has an abundance of forests and lakes to explore with endless nature opportunities!
Relax on the lake in Phelps!
Does your ideal vacation center around time at the lake? There are 41 different lakes in Phelps, including North and South Twin, Kentuck Lake, Lac Vieux Desert Lake and Long Lake. Whether you prefer a motorboat and jet skiing or the quiet serenity of paddling along in a canoe or kayak, Phelps has a lake to suit your needs. Our lakes are known for their deep and clear waters, and many are so secluded that you can go an entire day without seeing another visitor. Spend a day on the lake and make great memories boating, swimming, or scuba-diving!
If your perfect day involves a fishing rod and great story, try your luck fishing on one of the lakes in Phelps or the Wisconsin River. Phelps attracts fishermen from all over the world, no matter what season it is. Try your hand catching a brook trout, walleye, perch, blue gill, or one of the giant muskies the area is known for!
Enjoy silent sports and camping in Phelps!
If you prefer land sports, the vast wilderness surrounding Phelps provides the perfect place for hiking and biking, with endless nature photography opportunities. Spectacle Lake and Kentuck Lake Campgrounds are ideal for camping enthusiasts who prefer spacious campsites with a stunning view. No matter what outdoor activities you choose to enjoy, a spring vacation in Phelps is sure to give you cherished memories that will last a lifetime! Contact the Phelps Chamber of Commerce today to learn more about Phelps and begin planning your Northwoods vacation!
Attractions & shopping in the Phelps area
Once you have had your fill of fun in the sun, make sure to check out the unique shopping opportunities and attractions that Phelps and nearby towns have to offer.
- Visit The Dogwoods – Pleasures of the Northwoods (Phelps) for some locally made honey and beeswax products.
- Take an educational photography workshop or schedule a family vacation portrait with Daniel Johnson Photography (by appointment only, Phelps).
- Rent an ATV or buy a new outboard motor at Barefoot’s Marine (Phelps).
- Schedule a relaxing massage with Twin Lakes Massage Therapy (Phelps).
- Find marine accessories, new and used boats at Northern Edge Sport & Marine (Land O’Lakes).
- Learn about the history of the area at the Phelps Historical Museum, located right next door to the Phelps Chamber of Commerce office.
- Shop for homemade products and maple syrup at Whataview Farm & Weaver (Phelps).
- Get your hair cut at the Village Barber (Phelps).
- Buy organically grown vegetables mid-June through September at The Master’s Hand Farm (Phelps).
- Find unique children’s toys and games at Grandma’s Toy Box (Eagle River).
- Stop in Land O’Lakes Health Care Pharmacy (Land O’Lakes) for all your health and hygiene needs.
- Fill you cooler with groceries from Land O’Lakes Village Market (Land O’Lakes).
- Gas up and stock up on bait and supplies at the Phelps Convenience Center (Phelps) or the Gateway BP (Land O’Lakes).
Where to stay in Phelps
Phelps and surrounding towns boast of some of the most picture-perfect resorts and cabin rentals, with a variety of lodging options and amenities to fit your needs.
- Stay at the Hazen Inn (Phelps), a historic bed and breakfast with cottages.
- Reserve a fully-furnished cabin at The Wilderness Reserve (Phelps) to enjoy skeet, trap and sporting clays, hiking and fishing.
- Enjoy a lakeside cottage at Big Sand Lake Cottages (Phelps).
- Blue Loon Hideaway (Phelps) is a private cottage on North Twin Lake.
- Eagle View Rentals (Phelps) offers modern units on Big Sand Lake.
- Enjoy a stay at Elvoy Tavern & Cottages (Alvin).
- Reserve a studio or suite at Gateway Lodge (Land O’Lakes).
- Rent a cabin on North Twin Lake from Great Escape (Phelps).
- Enjoy a boat launch and swimming beach at Hillside Resort (Phelps).
- Oak Ridge Resort (Phelps) offers fully furnished cabins.
- The Sunrise Lodge (Land O’Lakes) is a family-orientated resort with Wi-Fi.
Where to dine in Phelps
No matter your dining preferences, your taste buds will be satisfied in the Phelps area! Check out these restaurants or taverns for tasty Northwoods dishes and drinks –
- Dublin Sports Bar & Grill (Conover)
- Eddie B’s White Spruce (Eagle River)
- Elvoy Tavern (Alvin)
- Gateway Lodge (Land O’Lakes)
- Great Escape (Phelps)
- Hillside Resort (Phelps)
- Sunrise Lodge (Land O’Lakes)
Find out more about these Phelps area businesses and other services available on the Phelps Chamber Membership Directory. Feel free to contact us with any questions!