Maple Syrup Fest
10th Annual Phelps Maple Syrup Fest
Celebrate the Wisconsin heritage of Maple Syrup! Enjoy a family friendly FREE event right here in Phelps!
Learn more about how and where maple syrup is made, and grab a tasty treat, all at the 10th Annual Phelps Maple Syrup Fest! You might just find some honey activities, too!
Join us in Phelps on April 10, 2021 for a sweet celebration of maple syrup! Phelps Maple Syrup Fest is a family friendly event, where you can:
- Watch tree-tapping demonstrations
- Find your favorite maple treats at the Maple Café
- Take a driving tour of local sugar bushes to see where this popular treat originates and how sap becomes maple syrup
- Kid’s games and activities
- View various maple syrup and honey displays
This Phelps event is perfect for all ages! The day’s activities and sugar bush tours are free of charge for all attendees. A portion of the proceeds from Maple Syrup Fest will benefit area high school graduates through continuing education scholarships.
Fun & Educational Classes at Maple Syrup Fest!
Want to make your own syrup or honey? Do you already tap your own trees but are looking for some tips on filtering or perfecting your craft? Stay tuned for the full schedule of educational maple syrup and honey classes that will be taking place during this year's Maple Syrup Fest.
Maple Syrup Judging Contest
In 2019 50 contestants submitted syrup for judging from four states: Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine and New York! Maple syrup came from sugar bushes with just a few trees tapped (5) to thousands of trees (3000).
We have had many great entries over the years, making the job tough for our dedicated judges.
Grade A syrup is categorized by color and taste. Entries are evaluated on density, clarity, flavor, color and containers. Last year all entries gave the judges a great experience tasting each of the unique syrups and picking out the underlying flavors.
Please remember that entries may be disqualified with a density score too low to qualify as maple syrup. Judge’s notation: keep boiling.
We hope that you will join us for the 10th Annual Maple Syrup Fest on April 10, 2021
Registration Packets can be downloaded here.
Video courtesy of Fox Hill Photography
Fun Facts about Maple Syrup
- Did you know that maple syrup was one of Wisconsin’s first agricultural products?
- It takes 10 whole gallons of sap to make 1 quart of syrup!
- Maple syrup is actually good for your health – it increases red blood cell growth and is proven to treat digestive disorders.
- Humans aren’t the only ones that take advantage of maple trees – squirrels tap the trees with their 2 front teeth and drink the sap straight from the tree!
- Not all maple syrup is the same; flavor can be affected by the tree tapped, weather and climate, and different production methods. Don’t just buy one bottle – try out different maple syrup products for a variety of sweet tastes!
- Wisconsin produces an average of 74,000 gallons of maple syrup a year!
2021 Maple Syrup Fest sponsors!
Our Sincerest Gratitude!
Interested in becoming a sponsor? Sponsoring one of our local activities or making a donation is a great way for your business to receive positive exposure in multiple ways. Download the form here or contact the Phelps Chamber to learn how to become a 2021 sponsor of this wonderful event!