Discover the Joys of Silent Sports in Northern Wisconsin!
There's no better way to enjoy the magical wonders of Northern Wisconsin's wilderness than taking a hike. You will be in awe of the beauty around you, and if you are quiet enough, you may catch a glimpse of Northwoods wildlife through the trees. Explore the trails in the spring to appreciate the abundance of wildflowers or in the autumn to experience the fall colors up close and personal. No matter the season, time spent on the Phelps hiking trails is sure to be rewarding.
Nature Hikes, Back-country Hiking, and Wilderness Trails
Whether you enjoy short strolls through the wilderness or more intense, challenging hikes, Phelps is the place to enjoy the great outdoors of Wisconsin!
Nestled in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, you have nearly unlimited opportunities to explore nature by foot. You will find trails to suit all abilities and ages, making for a fun summer vacation for the whole family or an exhilarating adventure. So grab your gear for an extended backpacking trip or just throw on your favorite sneakers and hit the trails in Phelps!
Local Hiking Trails in Phelps
- Phelps Trail: Located off of Highway E and Sugar Maple Road, the Phelps Hiking Trail is an easy nature hike suitable for all ages. This 1 mile trails is perfect for enjoying the relaxing scenery and sounds of nature.
- Beaver Creek Trail: You can't get much farther from civilization in Northern Wisconsin than the this! Located off of Indian Road near the Vista Lake Trails, experience the rejuvenating powers of a backcountry trail with a 2 mile hike through forested lands.
- Spectacle Lake – Kentuck Lake Trail: Connecting two campgrounds, this 2.5 mile nature trail takes you through a colorful deciduous forest to an aromatic coniferous forest with pine and spruce trees towering above. With a lake at both ends, this makes for a perfect day-hike, complete with a romantic picnic.
- Blackjack Springs Trail: This 4 mile hiking trail is one of the best in Vilas County for wildlife observation and bird watching, so be sure to bring along those binoculars! An off-set of the Vista Lake Trails, this is a good choice for a backpacking adventure.
- Rail Trail: Up for some endurance hiking? Check out this 7.6 mile stretch of trail that runs along the railroad grade between Phelps and Conover. With some wetland areas, this is another great hiking trail for bird watching.
More Hiking Trails In Vilas County and Upper Michigan
If you haven't had enough hiking after exploring these hidden treasures, check out the Land O'Lakes bike and pedestrian way trail, an 8.5 mile segment of the Wilderness Lakes Trails System. Or head up to the U.P. of Michigan and hop on the North Country Trail.