Discover the Best Northern Wisconsin Camping in Vilas County
Some of the best northern Wisconsin camping can be found in Vilas County. And, there’s nothing like wilderness camping in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest! For those who are a bit more adventurous and enjoy backpacking, you’ll love the rustic camping in Blackjack Springs Wilderness.
The main feature of this 5,800-acre wilderness area is “a series of four large, crystal clear springs that form the headwaters of Blackjack Creek, in the midst of dense forest cover.”
Deerskin River and Whispering Lake (also known by locals as Echo Lake) are also in the Blackjack Springs Wilderness area. Spectacular hiking trails can also be found throughout the entire area, which is located 7 miles northeast of Eagle River, Wisconsin.
Why Try Backcountry Camping?
- Discover absolute serenity, with the nearest person miles away.
- Observe an abundance of wildlife in its natural habitat.
- Breath in clean, rejuvenating fresh air.
- Step completely away from the worries and stresses of daily life.
- Enjoy the true depth of the Northern Wisconsin night sky, unhindered by modern lights.
Plan a successful 'off-the-grid' adventure...
- Take a detailed map and compass.
- Pack along a first aid kit and plenty of drinking water – count on a gallon a day per person.
- If you can’t pack in a portable camp stove, be sure to keep your fires small.
- Practice leave-no-trace by leaving only what you found and taking only what you brought.
- Don’t forget two essentials – mosquito repellent and your camera!