Check out this year’s top syrup entries for the 8th Annual Maple Syrup Fest!
Another amazing Phelps Maple Syrup Fest is in the books, and the results are in! Saturday, April 6th was a fun day for thousands of people visiting Phelps to enjoy all things maple syrup (and honey!) But the question everyone wants answered – which sugar bushes took home the ribbons for the syrup judging contest?
Syrups were also entered from as far as Traverse City MI, Marquette MI, Galway NY, and Appleton WI. Syrups came from producers that tap as little as 1 or 2 trees, all the way to over 3000 trees tapped this year. Each entry was tested for density, clarity, flavor, color, and the label to come up with a final score in each category.
We were pleased to again be joined by Alice in Dairyland, Buckskin Bob, and Geoff Weller as tasting judges to help out contest facilitators from Smoky Lake Maple Products. They had a tough job ahead of them, taste testing 29 different syrups with all different colors, tastes, and hints of unique flavors. They enjoyed hints of everything from buttery flavors to marshmallow tastes.
Here are the winning sugar bushes from the 2019 syrup judging contest:
Golden Color – Delicate Taste Category
- 1st Place: Paramski Family Syrup from Crystal Falls, MI (84 points)
- 2nd Place: G & G Outdoors from Ft. Atkinson, WI (83 points)
- 3rd Place: Pethan’s Syrup Shack from Chilton, WI (80 points)
Amber Color – Rich Taste
- 1st Place: Ski’s Sugar Shack from Merrill, WI (93 points)
- 2nd Place: CVF Maple LLC from Sturgeon Bay, WI (93 points)
- 3rd Place: Buhrandt Farms Inc. from Suring, WI (93 points)
Dark Color – Robust Taste
- 1st Place: Friess Lake’s Finest from Hubertus, WI (93 points)
- 2nd Place: Buckskin Bob’s Sugar Bush from Phelps, WI (93 points)
- 3rd Place: Richfield Historical Society from Richfield, WI (93 points)
For more information on Phelps Maple Syrup Fest, or other local events, visit www.Phelpswi.us or call the Phelps Chamber at 715-545-3800.