On the Lake is the Place to be!
Plan Your Vacation on the Lake!
Is there really anywhere that you would rather be than on crystal clear waters with the sun beating down on you and amazing views surrounding you? When your ideal summer vacation is centered around water sports or lounging on the lake shore, Phelps is your destination! From fantastic year-round fishing to kayaking, canoeing, or jet-skiing, you will find the ideal lakes here.
Big Lakes, Little Lakes – Vilas County Has It All!
Phelps is located in an area with one of the highest densities of freshwater lakes in the world. Vilas County has over 1300 lakes, with four of the largest located here in Phelps. North Twin Lake, which is located right downtown, is 2871 acres and as deep as 60 feet, which makes for great fishing! And that’s just one of 41!
The larger bodies of water, such as Lac Vieux Desert and North Twin, have several restaurants that are easily accessible by boat. And the majority of Vilas County lodging facilities are located on the shores of a lake, some with complementary row boats or rental fishing boats.
Play in the Water, Lay in the Sand
So what can you do with a day on the lake in Phelps? Whatever you want!
- Chase the elusive monster muskie or reel in some walleyes
- Pump up the excitement with some jet-skiing or water skiing
- Float along peacefully on a water tube
- Appreciate nature by kayak or canoe
- Slow down with a bit of bird watching or nature photography
- Build a sand castle with the kids
- Go swimming or rafting
- Share a Northwoods sunset with your loved one from boat or shore
- Try scuba diving in North Twin
- Compete in the Phelps Twin Tri in August!
Or simply relax on the beach with a good book or a good friend. And summer isn’t the only season to enjoy the magnificent Vilas County lakes. The reflections of the fall colors on the water makes for spectacular nature photography. Spring is the quietest time of year, and a great opportunity for wildlife observation. And winter brings one of the all-time favorite local activities – ice fishing!